Constitution of the Student Council of the Woods Charter School High School
We, the students of The Woods Charter School High School, do hereby establish this
Constitution of The Student Council of the Woods Charter School High School in order
to give a voice and representation to all students and to promote the goals set forth in the
Declarations of the Principle of The Woods Charter School High School:
To serve as a link between students and the administration
To reflect merit and distinction upon The Woods Charter School in all forms of endeavors to encourage and develop ties between teachers and students in pursuit of a healthy school environment.
To practice the art and science of democracy
The name of the organization shall be The Student Council of The Woods Charter School High School, hereafter referred to as The Student Council.
Powers and Duties of The Student Council:
1. It shall approve projects within the limits of its capabilities for the betterment of the school.
2. The Student Council shall secure the advice and consent of the administration before taking on any projects.
3. The Student Council shall have the power to interpret its constitution.
4. The Student Council shall have the final vote in all impeachment cases concerning its members.
5.The Student Council shall act in any capacity to support the work of its principal when pertaining to the student body.
6.The Student Council shall have the power to make its own rules pertaining to its meetings, correspondence, and operation, subject to the approval of the Faculty Advisor.
Membership and Elections of The Student Council
1.Membership of The Student Council shall consist of:
• Two representatives of the Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes of The Woods Charter School. The representatives shall be elected by a simple majority of their class, with the Class Advisor, Director of the High School, and The Woods Charter School Principal retaining the power to veto an election.
• Four at-large representatives, one from each of the Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior classes of the Woods Charter School, elected by the high school student body as a whole. At-large representatives must have attended Woods for at least one year prior to holding office.
2. All Student Council Representatives shall be elected within 60 days of the start of the school year in which they will serve.
3. The President, Vice President, Secretary, and other officers of The Student Council shall be chosen by the class representatives, not by the student body as a whole.
4. The specific method and date of Student Council elections shall be determined by of the Student Council with the advice and consent of the High School Director.
Frequency of Meetings and Provisions for Special Sessions
1. The Student Council meetings will be held at least twice a month, specific dates and times being decided by the Student Council by a majority vote.
Standards and Removal from Office
1. All members of the Student Council shall maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average (four-point scale) to be considered active members. Any member whose grade point average falls below a 2.0 in any 9-week period shall be placed on probation until the next interim report. If the grades remain below 2.0, the student will be suspended for the semester.
2. Each member must maintain a high standard of ethical and moral conduct.
3. Each member shall perform their duties to the best of their ability.
4. Removal proceedings may be brought against any member of The Student Council who, in the opinion of the majority of the members of The Student Council has failed to discharge their duties satisfactorily or who has failed to meet all standards set forth in this constitution.
a. The accused has the right to be informed of the accusations brought against them.
b. All accusations made will be brought before the executive officers for review prior to being presented to the rest of The Student Council.
c. The Student Council shall hear the charges with the president presiding unless the president is being impeached, in which case the vice president shall preside.
d. The sentence resulting from impeachment may be temporary suspension, permanent suspension, or removal from office.
5. No member of The Student Council shall remain in office if issued a school suspension, or other legal citation.
7.All members of The Student Council must attend a minimum of one meeting per month, unless otherwise excused by The Student Council or The Woods Charter School.
8.Students removed from office cannot claim membership in The Student Council on their transcript for the year in which they were removed. They will also be excluded from the group picture in the yearbook.
9. In the event that a Student Council Representative is removed from office, resigns their position, or for any other reason can not continue to serve in The Student Council, a special election shall be held to elect a replacement. Elections to fill vacant seats on the Student Council shall be held in a matter consistent with the typical election of a Student Council member.
10. If any member of the Student Council is impeached then removed from office they shall not be permitted to hold membership on the Student Council again.
Duties of Officers of The Student Council
1.President of The Student Council
a.The president shall be a member of the Senior Class.
b.The president shall be responsible for carrying out the functions of The Student Council in accordance with the Constitution.
c.The president shall preside at all meetings of The Student Council.
d.The president shall preside at all trials of impeachment except his own.
2.Vice President of The Student Council
a.The vice president of The Student Council shall be a member of the Junior or Senior Class.
b.The vice president should assume the duties of the president in the absence of the president.
c.The vice president shall preside over the annual revision of the Constitution.
3.Secretary of The Student Council
a.The secretary shall take and report the minutes of all Student Council meetings.
b.The secretary shall be responsible for all Student Council correspondence.
c.The secretary shall keep a roll of all Student Council members.
d.The secretary shall account for all Student Council funds and record all transactions.
e.The secretary shall be responsible for all fundraising efforts.
4.Communications Officer of the Student Council
a.The communications officer may be a member of any class.
b.The communications officer shall oversee communications between The Student Council and other school-wide organizations, including the Middle School Student Council.
c.The communications officer shall also supervise the writing and distribution of all official Student Council publications.
a.All class officers shall serve as voting members of the Student Council.
b.All class officers shall serve as representatives of their respective classes.
Adoption of The Constitution of The Student Council
1. This Constitution shall be presented before The Woods Charter School High School.
2. This Constitution shall be presented before The Student Council of The Woods Charter School.
3. This Constitution shall become the Fundamental Law of The Student Council upon its approval by the members of The Student Council.
Provisions for Amending the Constitution of The Student Council
1. An amendment may be proposed by any student, faculty member, or by the principal of The Woods Charter School High school
2. All proposals for amendments must be presented in written format.
3. All amendments must be approved by the Principal, the Assistant Principal, or the High School Director.
4. All amendments must be ratified by a simple majority of the Student Council.
5. All amendments shall be dated with the year of ratification.
This Constitution was amended Wednesday May 29th, 2007.