This should have been handled better.

read more
> On Jul 12, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Tara Aida  wrote:
> Hi Mara,
> I wanted to give an update on the beg bug situation. Despite our room being treated last Wednesday, Joe and I are still getting multiple bites every night and finding live bed bugs at the same frequency as before the treatment.
> We’ve been working with the Exchange to get this fixed, but it’s starting to really affect our ability to work. We spent >15 hours last week laundering everything we own and getting the room ready for the treatment. Now, they are asking us to re-launder everything we own again this week. They said that we are scheduled to be treated once a week for the next 3-4 weeks at least.
> Joe and I are getting to the point where we feel like we can’t live in the Exchange any longer. We might need to look for alternative housing in Memphis (though I’m not sure how ethical this is—the Exchange can’t put us into another apartment for fear of spreading the bed bugs) or move back to NC for a few weeks until the bed bugs in our apartment have been dealt with. If you have any ideas of what we can do, please let me know.
> Best,
> Tara

Mara Lewis Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:45:09 PM -0400
"Tara Aida" 
"Joe Puccio" 
Oh. my. god. This is unacceptable. I'm fixing this. Hang tight. I'm
dealing with this immediately.

Tara Aida Thu, 14 Jul 2016 8:40:20 PM -0400
"Mara Lewis" , "Eric Mathews" , "Andre Fowlkes" 
"Joe Puccio" 

Hi everyone, 

First, thank you all so much for your help in trying to get this bed bug situation solved. Joe and I really appreciate it. 

It seems like the Exchange is not going to allow us to move to another room—let me know if I am wrong about this. They treated our room again today with the company they used last week (the same treatment that didn’t decrease the number of bites we were getting or bugs we were seeing—moreover we found out today that this treatment took 6 weeks to get rid of the bed bugs in another unit). 

Their proposed solution is offering us a new pest control company which will treat with a different method—but they cannot come until next week because of the possible toxic interactions with the treatment done today. They also want us to re-do all of our laundry again for the third time, now via a professional dry cleaner that they will pay for (and falsely claimed that they told us that we had to do this the first time).

Joe and I really can’t wait another week for things to possibly get better. It’s been more than 3 weeks since we brought this up with the Exchange with no improvements. So, at this point we are going to start looking for new housing. We will check Airbnb and call local unfurnished apartments. Let us know if you have any suggestions about finding a new place. 

We don’t want to track bed bugs into the next place we move into, so we are driving back to NC on Saturday to return some furniture/items which we can’t treat ourselves. We’d like to figure out our new housing situation before we return. 


From: Eric Mathews 
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: Bed Bug Update
To: Tara Aida 
Cc: Joe Puccio , Andre Fowlkes , Mara Lewis 

I'm not sure moving away is the right solution. 

These last 28 days are investment oriented. And results oriented. This is crunch time.  

You have the resources and your burn rate is low. Let's start with a hotel this weekend (Hotwire or Priceline $70/night) and the let's find a way to shift to another resource for the next 30 days after. 

Stop paying rent at the exchange. I'll sort through that. 

Let's figure this out together in office hours tomorrow. 

I'd advise you to probably let the treatment take place on the current furniture you own and sell it off there after locally. Transportation and risk costs aren't worth it unless it is an heirloom. In that case store it--cheaper than time and transportation right now. 

I believe everything you are facing could be solved in 4 days. But if you add in transport costs and time it will be more. 

As a startup your only advantage is time. 

I've been in contact with the owner of the Exchange more tonight and will continue to work through this. 

We aren't going to retreat in this. 



Eric Mathews 

Start Co., Founder and CEO, 

901.213.7795 | |


Grab a free copy of my book here: